Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"Live and Let Live"


Just the other day I got into a somewhat heated argument with a friend about bi-racial relationships. I have always considered myself to be a pretty conservative person. However, as I was making my argument, which to me doesn't seem like a very hard one to make, that, morally, there is nothing wrong with two people of different races being in a relationship, for the first time in my life I was referred to as a "liberal." Maybe I'm missing something here, but does thinking that there is nothing wrong with a relationship between two consenting adults that just happen to be of different races make me a liberal?? What bothers me the very most about this ever-so-popular topic here in the south, is that for a lot of people a "bi-racial relationship" is defined as a couple consisting of a black person and a white person. A chinese girl and a white boy won't get near as much attention walking through the mall as a black girl and a white boy. I've just never understood this. Why do people even CARE?? Why would anyone let something that has no affect on their life whatsoever send them into a frenzy? Anyone ever heard of the phrase "live and let live?" I think we could all learn a lot from that simple little phrase. I just needed to vent a little bit about that. Thanks for listening.
*Now, I think that we could all learn some obvious things from the little boy's drawing. But one, not so obvious thing that I would like to learn is why some of those children in the picture have yellow faces. It's a precious picture, really, but I was just wondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment