Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Robert Browning study break. . .

So, I haven't blogged in over a year. Tragic, I know. Life is busy as an SFA student, and I have been studying all morning for a test I have later tonight. Naturally, my mind drifted, leading me to a quick "Love Letters of Great Men" reading session, and I thought...hmmm, what better time to write a blog than when I am supposed to be studying for a test? Spoken like a true procrastinator. So, here I am. I don't have time to allow myself to indulge in my own original thoughts, but I do have time to share with my MANY, *chuckle* followers, one of my favorite love letter excerpts from my book. Delight yourself in the words of Robert Browning, written to his bride, Elizabeth Barrett, on the morning of their wedding day. I did, and it, indeed, brightened my day. Happy humpday to all!

To Elizabeth Barrett on the morning of their wedding day,
12 September 1846

You will only expect a few words. What will those be? When the heart is full it may run over; but the real fullness stays within. . . Words can never tell you . . . how perfectly dear you are to me - perfectly dear to my heart and soul. I look back and in every one point, every word and gesture, every letter, every silence - you have been entirely perfect to me - I would not change one word, one look. My hope and aim are to preserve this love, not to fall from it - for which I trust to God, who procured it for me, and doubtless can preserve it. Enough now, my dearest own Ba! You have given me the highest, completest proof of love that ever one human being gave another. I am all gratitude - and all pride . . . that my life has been so crowned by you.   Robert Browning

Ladies and gentleman, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment